Krista Varantola (Vice President)
Chancellor Krista Varantola received her PhD in English from the University of Turku, Finland in 1985. She worked as a senior lecturer at the same university until 1989 when she moved to the University of Tampere to become Professor of English. She has published widely on technical English usage, as well as the use of dictionaries and the use of electronic text corpora as translation tools. She is member of the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters.
Alongside her scholarly pursuits she has held several administrative positions at the university of Tampere and has served as Head of Department, Dean, Vice-Rector and Rector. During 2006-2007 she served as Vice-Chair and during 2008-2009 as Chair of the Finnish Council of University rectors.
After her five-year term as Rector she was appointed Chancellor of the University of Tampere in 2009.
Krista Varantola has been member of a number of national and Nordic academic boards, research councils and foundations. She served twice on the Science and Technology Policy Council of Finland. From August 1, 2014 she is Professor and Chancellor emerita of the University of Tampere.
She is currently Chair of the National Advisory Board on Research Integrity in Finland and Board member of the University Board of the University of Jyväskylä, Finland and member of ALLEA (All European Academies) Standing Committee on Science and Ethics 2010- .
Leadership positions at the University of Tampere
- II Vice-Rector, University of Tampere, August 1, 1996 – December 31, 1997
- I Vice-Rector, University of Tampere, January 1, 1998 – July 31, 1999
- Rector of the University of Tampere, 1.8.2004-31.7.2009
- Finnish Council of University Rectors, Vice-Chairman 2006-2007, Chair 2008-2009
- Chancellor, University of Tampere, 1.8.2009-31.7.2014
- Chancellor emerita, professor emerita at the University of Tampere (agreement-based) 1.8. 2014-
SCHOLARLY AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND POSITIONS OF TRUST
- Member of the University Board of the University of Jyväskylä 1.8 2014- 31.12. 2017
- National Advisory Board on Research Integrity in Finland. Chair 2010-
- Member of the Council of Finnish Academies 2011- (Vice-Chair 2011-2013)
- Board Member, Emil Aaltonen Foundation, Finland 2009-
- Member of the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters 2005- Board Member of the Finnish Fulbright Commission FUSEEC (Finland -U.S. Educational Exchange Commission) 2002-2009
- Member, Research Council for Culture and Society, The Academy of Finland 2001-2004
- Member of the Science and Technology Policy Council of Finland under the Prime Minister of Finland 1999-2002, 2005-2007
- NordForsk. (Nordic Funding Agency for Research under the Nordic Council of Ministers) Board Member 2006 - 2013
- NordForsk. Chair of the Steering Committee of the thematic programme “Education for Tomorrow” . 2012-
- University of Gothenburg, Sweden. Member of the Advisory Board 2008-2015
- The Nordic Centre at Fudan University, Chair 2006-2011
- ALLEA (All European Academies), Member of the Standing Committee on Science and Ethics 2010-
- EUA (European University Association) The Standing Sub-Committee of Council on Nominations 2010- 2013
- Member of the evaluation team pool of EUA/IEP 2012-
- Board member of HÖGUT, (Steering Group for Higher Education, Nordic Council of Ministers) 1999-2007.
CURRENT RESEARCH INTEREST AND PUBLICATIONS
Lexical knowledge management, the use of text corpora in translation, dictionary use in translation, translation-related research, lexicography and terminology, electronic translation tools.
BACK TO LIST
BACK TO LIST